Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Preface of The Ever Untitled

A road…a dust road…long and serpentine.

It wasn’t like any other road I had ever seen, I hadn’t seen much, come to that.

A nomad lost in Hemingway’s fishless desert couldn’t be half as fascinated about the mirages of shifting shadows of water seen at the horizon as I was about that God-forsaken place the road led to. It was part of a dream I couldn’t contemplate giving up, a dream I had been harboring secretly ever since my father told me what that road was, where it led to and what it stood for. I closed my eyes and stretched before me a road that was not merely filth and dirt.

Not merely an ancient connection to a modern world.

But the very epitome of independence and liberty.

Liberty from that corner of the world where humans were burnt at stake along with their rights - and not just metaphorically - in favor of people who possessed the power to be in power.

It’s that corner of the world for which rest of the world uses mechanically heavy terms.

Genocide, Massacres, Mass-killings – terms I was quite unfamiliar with, for I didn’t have any school lessons I could encounter them in, although, along with thousands of others, I had been the victim of the persecution perpetrated by the people who believed and used the underlying concept as a weapon.

I have heard the dying screams, the pitiful cries of people who had seen death from an inch and succumbed to it hoping in a wry moment of dry humor that some day their people will start dying of old age rather than getting killed in riots and wars.

Riots and wars though, comprised only one part of the personal tragedy that was generic to all those who had the misfortune of having been born in that country. For women the magnitude of the personal tragedy was magnified a thousand times for, amongst the powers that rock the political map of a war-torn nation, are those men who choose to humiliate the weak and defenseless as a way of enhancing their ill-placed confidence in their masculinity. It’s that sub-set of humanity which takes extreme delight in subjecting women to novel and innovative forms of humiliation.

The more the degree of humiliation, the more successful is the entire exercise and more is the level of satisfaction achieved.


It didn’t take me long to realize that after the perpetrators were done with their subjects, it was not merely the residual physical strength that kept those, subjected to the physical and moral mutilation, sane. Those who managed to neutralize their minds as well to the atrocities- which would have been otherwise shameful but in the given circumstances only horrifically inhuman- that were done to their minds and bodies, were the sole survivors.

I had arrived at my own theory of Natural Selection, although I was a century late. But now that I have read Darwin, it seems ironic that to achieve the same end, we had used such diametrically opposite means.

My story, however, is not about the atrocities that came from without, but those which came from within. The atrocities that come from without are the result of the machinations of mechanical minds that belong to those dregs of humanity comprising a class which has shed its human veneer long back and doesn’t hesitate any more to come out of the façade that hides the most diabolical caricature of humanity ever.

My story is about those people who were my people, who I trusted and trusted enough to have entrusted them with the task of making me chaste, which at that time I thought only comprised a series of innocuous events, may be lectures revolving around the birds and the bees. I was proven seriously wrong and my faith broken beyond repair.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HI ITS REALLY NICE....

TRY TO PULL MORE ISSUES WITH YOUR WORDS SPECIALLY ON ASSAM LIKE ; SCENARIO OF GAMES WHICH HAPPEND RECENTLY, YOUTH, ULFA & WHY YOUTH ARE GETTING MOTIVATED BY THESE GROUPS(ALFA),EDUCATION SYSTEMS & CORPORATE SECTORS IN ASSAM....

KEEP IT UP

Preeti said...

Hey Arunjana,

Maybe you should put up a link on your blog where people can buy your book :-)

Good luck and wish you success.

Preeti

Saurangshu Kanunjna said...

now i m even more excited to read the complete book. get it on the floor quickly.....get it published yaar.....

keep it up..gr8 work mam..good luck n wish u all the success

Angee said...

Hey Das... its simply cool... m really impressed... wud really luv to read the book....

Gud luck yaar...U simply rock...

Nishtha